When it comes to fertility, some people haven’t given it a lot of thought while some others have a friend that has gone through this or even a personal experience. However, fertility is so much more than just having a baby.
In recent years, be it lifestyle, medication, daily stress, or more, a lot of couples are having trouble having a baby. According to research fertility is at an all-time low and has dropped from 4.7 to an average of 2.4.
The reasons for this can be several factors right from environmental to economic variables and so fertility treatment has become quite common in the age group between 25 to 45 years.
Infertility treatment helped assist many couples in having babies who otherwise may have not been able to. This includes women experiencing fertility issues and those with medical problems. Let’s explore how infertility treatment can help couples have a baby successfully.
Causes of fertility issues in women
There are a range of female infertility causes that can cause issues in conceiving. Some of them are:
- Problem with ovulationBetween 5-10% of women between the ages of 15-44 have PCOS. Disruption of ovarian function can often lead to irregular ovulation and cause fertility problems in women. Some of the causes include polycystic ovary syndrome and problems with the pituitary gland.
- Tubal diseaseBlocking or scarring of the fallopian tubes due to infections, scarring from surgery or more can prevent eggs from traveling from the ovary to the uterus to meet the sperm.
- EndometriosisThis condition is caused when the tissue that forms the lining of the uterus is found outside the uterus causing inflammation and scarring of the ovaries and fallopian tubes. This leads to blockage of the tubes and issues with the implantation of embryos.
- Increasing ageAs women get older the quality and quantity of their eggs lower. This usually happens from 37-40 years of age and getting pregnant becomes more difficult.
Causes of infertility in men
Men on the other hand can have a low sperm count, poor sperm movement, or failure to ejaculate due to a blocked tube. Males are solely responsible for around 20% of infertility cases and another 30% as their age speeds up.
Your weight can also affect your fertility and both men and women that are overweight or have changes to their hormones can make it harder for them to be fertile. Taking an infertility test for female can help you understand your symptoms and come up with a solution.
Men that smoke and drink are also less likely to be fertile compared to non-smokers.
Infertility Treatment Center in NYC
Some of the main risk factors that can influence a woman’s fertility can include smoking and drinking alcohol which affect the quality of your eggs. Another cause can be taking illicit drugs or certain medications like marijuana or even being overweight or underweight.
The infertility treatment center in NYC concluded that women that had treatment for cancer like chemotherapy or even other conditions such as diabetes or thyroid disease decreased the likelihood of getting pregnant.
Tips to help with infertility
While there are many reasons why women may have difficulty getting pregnant, there is a range of things you can do to increase the likelihood of having a baby. This can include lifestyle changes, surgery, or even hormone treatment.
Studies conducted show that Assisted Reproductive Technology contributed to 2.0% of all infants born in the United States. It’s important to talk to a doctor and understand what treatment options you have, to help with fertility.
- Weight lossSmall reductions in weight can help assist with fertility. If you are above a healthy weight, your medical professional will advise you to shed some kilos of around 5-10% along with good nutrition and daily movement which can increase your chances of getting pregnant
- Have regular sexThis may be obvious but having sex regularly can improve your chances of conceiving. Most people wonder, does female masturbation cause infertility, no it doesn’t. Ideally, the window of fertility occurs six days before ovulation and intercourse during this time can increase your chances.
- Lower your stress levelsWomen with high stress levels are a third more likely to conceive than women that are relaxed and calm. Make sure you get enough sleep, exercise, and take on yoga, meditation, or even journal and relax to help you lower your stress.
- Drink more waterDrinking two liters of water a day will help improve your overall health. Water is an important part of helping your body function, ovulation and pregnancy included. It also helps form the cervical mucus that helps the sperm to move toward the egg.
Female infertility treatment doctor in NYC
Nowadays, most women are opting to freeze their eggs at a younger age. This allows you to then take the time you need to accomplish your goals while still being able to have children whenever you want.
How it’s done?
In this process, the egg or oocyte retrieval process is similar to the first phase of IVF. You can inject yourself with hormones to increase the size and number of follicles carrying eggs in your ovaries.
Once you do this, the follicles are then extracted vaginally under general anaesthesia, and the best quality ones are frozen at sub-zero temperatures. The success rate is higher for embryos vs eggs, and you should store at least half the extracted eggs as embryos.
During this time, you will need to undergo certain tests like a Follicle Stimulating Hormone test and your Anti Mullerian Hormone test. A vaginal ultrasound is also done on days 2-5 of your menstrual cycle to determine how many eggs are produced by your ovaries each month. You can do a sperm study for men as well if you have a partner.
Things to watch out for
Your female infertility treatment doctor in the NYC will tell you boosting your AMH can help you improve your fertility level. Make sure you choose a clean, anti-inflammatory, gluten and dairy-free diet filled with nuts, seeds, nourishing oils, salts, and bone broths.
Avoid smoking, alcohol, and sugar as this can lead to inflammation and low egg quality. You can even consume a tablespoon of flax, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds on an empty stomach.
Watch out for stress as it can affect egg quality.
Make sure you look for ways to destress and calm down. You can even opt for yoga, meditation, or listen to calming music to help you relax which can improve female infertility treatment.
Infertility Treatment Clinic in NYC
Your infertility treatment clinic in NYC will advise you that there are two types of treatments that can be given to women depending on their age, how long you have been infertile, and personal choices.
Each of these treatments comes with its own financial, physical, and emotional commitments. It was estimated that around 10% of women received medical help to get pregnant.
Treatments can either help lower female infertility symptoms through medication or surgery or help you get pregnant with tried and tested techniques.
Medications for infertility
Medications that help to regulate or stimulate ovulation are known as fertility drugs and they can work to trigger ovulation or even better egg production. Some of these are.
- Clomiphene citrateThis drug is taken orally and causes the pituitary gland to release more follicle-stimulating hormone which increases the growth of the ovarian follicle containing an egg. This is done in women younger than 39 years that do not suffer from PCOS.
- MetforminThis drug is used when insulin resistance is known or a suspected case of infertility in women with PCOS. It can help improve the likelihood of ovulation.
- LetrozoleLetrozole is like clomiphene and is used in women younger than 39 years of age who have PCOS.
Surgery for infertility
There are several surgical procedures that can help correct problems with female infertility and are rarely used due to the success of medications.
- Laparoscopic surgeryThis surgery involves correcting problems like uterine anatomy, removing fibroids, endometrial polyps, or adhesions that misshape the uterine cavity. The causes identified through laparoscopy surgery were identified as 25% polycystic ovary syndrome, 4% uterine causes, and 30% tubal factors.
- Tubal surgeriesIf your fallopian tubes are blocked or filled with fluid your doctor might suggest this surgery to remove adhesions, create a new tubal opening or dilate a tube.These surgeries are rare, and doctors often prefer to use IVF to either remove blocked tubes close to the uterus or remove your tubes to increase chances of pregnancy.
Foods to add to your diet for fertility
- Foods rich in omega-3Omega-3 foods help to bring down inflammation and lower stress along with boosting progesterone and helping the embryo grow. Natural sources of omega-3 include walnuts, flax seeds, avocado, chia seeds, and even fatty fish. You can even take supplements that have high amounts of EPA and DHA
- Good fatsGood fats like coconut and cashews can help stabilize hormones and balance your thyroid helping issues like PCOD and PCOS. You can have one tsp of virgin coconut oil on an empty stomach or even fresh coconut and 7-8 cashews a day.
- Selenium and magnesium-rich foodsDeficiency in these two minerals can impact your thyroid and insulin levels increasing your risk of PCOS. This leads to infertility and issues with implantation, which is why you need to take supplements or seeds and lentils to ensure that you get these nutrients.
Fertility problems can often occur due to a range of factors which is why it’s so essential to see a female infertility doctor near me.
Patient’s Medical is the best treatment center in New York and their team of professionals combines the best conventional and holistic medicine combined with state-of-the-art equipment to provide care and treatment to their patients. They offer an alternative medical approach to spark healing and prevent illnesses.
Patients Medical is a holistic wellness center dedicated to helping its clients discover health and rediscover vitality.